|1825||Foundation of the ‘Großherzoglich Badische Polytechnische Schule’ as a polytechnic school by order of Grand Duke Ludwig.|
|1885||Renamed ‘Technical University’.|
|1892||A third floor is added to the mechanical engineering school. The school had been built in 1859 on the initiative of Professor Redtenbacher.|
|1967||Renamed ‘University of Karlsruhe (TH)’.|
|2009||On October 1, 2009 the University and Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe merge to form the ‘Karlsruhe Institute of technology (KIT)’.|
|1867||Professor Josef Hart publishes the first comprehensive portrayal of machine tools designs.|
|1902||Until his emeritus, Professor George Lindner takes over Professor Josef Hart’s lecture on the machine tool.|
|1924||Professor Dr. Phil Habil Arthur Kessner, successor to Professor George Lindner, remains in office until he dies in 1941.|
|1944||Professor Ing. habil. Walter Schmidt begins to work at the university as a lecturer for machine tools and production science.|
Professor Dr.-Ing. Walter Schmidt is appointed lecturer at the university.
The Institute of Machine Tools and Production Science (wbk) (Institut für Werkzeugmaschinen und Betriebstechnik in German) is established.
|1956||First testing machine
The institute receives its first large-scale testing machine.
|1960||First field of research
Research on the impact of secondary cutting edges during machining. The first test field has now been available for five years.
|1962||1962-1963: Modification of the hall hosting the experimental power station hall into a test field for wbk.|
|1965||1965-1980: After the death of Professor Dr.-Ing. Walter Schmidt in January 1964, Professor Dr.-Ing. Hans Victor becomes head of wbk after 11 years of managerial activities in industry. Under his committed leadership, research and teaching activities are considerably extended.|
|1968||The institute is equipped with test stands for milling, broaching, honing and for hydraulic and pneumatic components.|
After his doctoral degree, Dr.-Ing. Jürgen Schmidt takes over as chief engineer at the institute.
|1977||The industry hall has been refurbished and is now equipped with a new crane and newly installed test stands.|
|1980||After the death of Professor Victor, Prof. Dr.-Ing. Jürgen Schmidt takes over as provisional head of institute.
|2007||Prof. Dr.-Ing. Jürgen Schmidt retires after 40 years of successful work in the field of manufacturing engineering.
After the death of Professor Dr.-Ing. Hans Viktor in 1980, Professor Dr.-Ing. Hartmut Weule becomes head of the institute. Previously, he had been active in the field of development and planning of automated manufacturing systems in the automotive industry.
|1983||A hall in Hagsfeld is rented for the production technology lab in order to extend the gamut of research and teaching.|
|1986||1986-1988: Construction of a new building for the Institute of Machine Tools and Production Science at Fasanengarten. Installation of the production science laboratory (PTL by its German acronym).
|1990||1990-1997: Professor Dr.-Ing. Hartmut Weule is temporarily relieved from his duties at the university and is appointed member of the Daimler Benz AG board of management.|
|2003||Professor Dr.-Ing. Hartmut Weule retires in September. He is still available for the institute to give advice and practical support.|
|2005||Professor Dr.-Ing. Hartmut Weule is awarded the Verdienstkreuz 1. Klasse (German equivalent of the Officer’s Cross) of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany for his outstanding achievements in
research, teaching, science management and economics.
|2006||Professor Dr. Hartmut Weule is conferred the title of Academic Honorary Citizen by University President Hippler during the academic anniversary celebration held in December 2006. This conferral pays tribute to Mr Weule’s achievements regarding the internationalization of the university, including the foundation of the International Department.|
|1992||Professor Dr.-Ing. Dieter Spath is appointed the second professor of the institute. He had previously held the position of managing director at KASTO group.|
|1993||Inauguration of the robotics laboratory in the newly constructed hall at Fasanengarten.|
|1996||Certification of the quality management system of wbk according to DIN EN ISO 9001.|
|1997||Professor Dr.-Ing. Hartmut Weule returns to wbk to run the institute cooperatively with Dieter Spath and Jürgen Schmidt.|
|1999||Inauguration of the dynamic factory in the production science laboratory at Fasanengarten. Re-certififaction of the quality management system of wbk according to DIN/ISO 9001.|
|2002||Professor Dr.-Ing. Dieter Spath leaves wbk to join the Fraunhofer Institute for Industrial Engineering (IAO) in Stuttgart.|
|2003||Professor Dr.-Ing. Jürgen Fleischer
is appointed head of institute. The institute is restructured and renamed ‘Institute of Production Science’ (Institut für Produktionstechnik in German).
|2008||Professor Dr.-Ing. Jürgen Fleischer takes a temporary sabbatical from his academic post to take up the position of Chairman Europe at the MAG company.
Dr.-Ing. Christian Munzinger takes over the post in the ‘Machine Tools and Handling Technology’ division on prof. Fleischer’s behalf.
After his position as chairman of MAG Industrial Automation Systems, Professor Dr.-Ing. Jürgen Fleischer returns to wbk. The institute continues to be headed by a cooperative board of management. Prof. Dr.-Ing. Jürgen Fleischer is responsible for the ‘Machine Tools and Handling Technology’ division, Prof. Dr.-Ing. Gisela Lanza is head of the ‘Production Systems’ division, and Prof. Dr.-Ing. habil. Volker Schulze holds responsibility for the ‘Manufacturing and Materials Technology’ division.
|Prof. Dr.-Ing. habil. Volker Schulze|
|2008||Appointment as representative of Prof. Fleischer in his capacity as head of the Institute of Production Science (wbk) of the University of Karlsruhe (TH).|
|The institute continues to be
managed by a cooperative board of management. Prof. Dr.-Ing. Jürgen Fleischer is responsible for the ‘Machine Tools and Handling Technology’ division,
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Gisela Lanza is head of the ‘Production Systems’ division, and Prof. Dr.-Ing. habil. Volker Schulze holds responsibility for the ‘Manufacturing and
Materials Technology’ division.
|2010||Appointment as professor “Manufacturing technology” at the Institute of Production Science (wbk)|
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Gisela Lanza
|2009||Gisela Lanza is awarded on 06.04.2009 with the Heinz Maier-Leibnitz Prize of the German Research Foundation (DFG) and the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF), the most prestigious award for young scientists in Germany.|
|2009||Gisela Lanza is director of the "Global Advanced Manufacturing Institute (GAMI)" in China.|
|2012||Mrs. Lanza holds the Chair for Production Systems and Quality Management at the wbk.|